What to do if you have a problem

If you have any questions or concerns about your child or the school, then it is always important to raise them with the Class Teacher. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome, you should arrange an appointment with Mr Ola who is the Head of School or Mrs Fitzpatrick, Miss Ryan or Mr Coleman who are Assistant Heads of School; most problems can be sorted out this way.

If you are still unhappy with the outcome, you can use the formal arrangements for making complaints using the Complaints Policy.

A paper copy of this Policy is available by request at the school office, or can be downloaded from the below document.